Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Brewing

In Spiritual Formation today my professor began class by toasting us with his Diet Pepsi. This ended with him discussing an old beer commercial that showed several men drinking around a campfire in some kind of picturesque setting. The tagline mentioned something like "It doesn't get any better than this." As we were in Spiritual Formation, and as I attend a Christian university that does not allow people, even people over 21 to partake in alcoholic beverages, there was a certain tension in the room regarding the topic.

Anyway, as he discussed the commercial and mentioned the tagline, we began to talk about the fact that for non-believers, drinking beer around a campfire in a beautiful forest really is as good as it gets. This got me to thinking.

I think there tends to be an attitude of pity surrounding the depiction of friends getting together and enjoying a beer. I think sometimes Christians see this as sad because it is considered a primitive, or sensual pleasure that most Christians are too holy to enjoy. Last week I saw an announcement in the bathroom that gave all sorts of reasons not to drink alcohol. At the very bottom of the announcement was the statement, "Avoid places where drinking is the focus. Christ honored relationships above all." As if there is no relational aspect to drinking? As if relationships cannot be honored when there is alcohol involved.

I wonder, would a commercial that depicted a group of women sitting in a cafe enjoying a latte and idle chatter bring the same sense of pity?

4 comments:

Rusty said...

For many of the men in our church, drinking is one of the main things that brings them together. After softball games and before razorback football games. Drinking is very relational, that's why Jesus made it part of the Lord's supper. ;-)

Noah said...

nmitchell doesnt sound nearly as cool as sperkiins. You know it. I LOVE and i mean I LOVE meeting with your husband in all these wonderful places. I love talking to him most though, the nice places are just an added perk...

Ann said...

Good thoughts, Sadie. I have been thinking a lot about the relational aspects of alcohol as well for the past few days. Since I am back in Minnesota and spending time with friends from high school, with whom I never even considered drinking when we were in high school (because it was 1. illegal and 2. just not an interest we had), I started thinking about my relationships and how much of the time what I do now with the people I'm closest to is just go out and get a drink. It's amazing how just one beer can make me forget the stress of the day much like one cup of coffee can make me forget that I'm tired. It's kind of sad to me that many people give alcohol such a bad rap when it can be a really good thing in moderation. My boyfriend says that it's a gift. I'm inclined to agree.

dawn said...

hi sadie. i thought that too. as if drinking alcohol completely cancels out the relationships that are formed... hm... strange.