Monday, January 7, 2008

LIke Being Punched in the Gut

I have to remind myself that I have been very blessed throughout this pregnancy. I read articles that talk about women who were sick every single day all nine months. I've heard women talk about waking up every morning and crying because they didn't think they would be able to make it through another day of vomit and fatigue. I've talked to women who felt like they completely went crazy, would cry over anything only to scream in anger twenty seconds later.

I have had it easy. I threw up three times, twice because I gagged myself while brushing my teeth. I was very nauseated for the first three months, but was able to eat like a normal person. I haven't had too many cravings, (except for the maddening craving for chocolate donuts) and I have yet to send Rusty on a midnight run for applesauce and Bagel Bites. I can, however, sleep like you would not believe, but that's nothing new.

In general I think I have been a pretty pleasant pregnant woman. I suppose you'd really have to ask Rusty, but I feel like being pregnant has done more to calm me down than freak me out. I haven't been especially sappy about babies (unless I am within ten feet of baby clothes), I have yet to write a zillion gushy posts to my unborn baby. I feel very mellow about the whole thing. In fact, for the most part I find pregnancy kind of boring (GASP! Did I just say that out loud?)

But then, out of nowhere, the reality of being a mama hits me and I am overwhelmed by the beauty of it all.

No comments: