Sunday, March 16, 2008

Daily Adventures

I remember once in preschool I told my sister a lie.

I had spent the day at school, a normal day filled with toys and singing and naps and probably apple juice. But when Audrey asked me what I done all day I must have been struck with how normal and mundane it all was, and I felt the need to add a little zest to the telling of my daily activities. Call it a prologue to my adult tendency to tell mundane stories about life (socks, lunch time, going to the doctor, taking a quiz, whathaveyou) as if they were stories of great and wild adventures.

So what began as a day filled with toys and singing and naps and probably apple juice ended up being a day of scaling mountains, falling off mountains, spraining my ankle and general upheaval of the preschool world. When Audrey asked how I was walking if I had sprained my ankle I replied "Well. It got better."

I was reminded of this yesterday when I was at work. I was supervising, so while most of the school age kids went to a treasure cave tour (no one brought back any gold for me) I stayed behind to answer phones, tend to preschool, and hang out with one sick kid and one kid who didn't get to go due to his behavior. He was understandably upset about missing the outing, and spent a long time telling me about being upset. But in the fashion of those who tend to elaborate and dramatize, what began as being angry about missing the outing, ended in child labor.

He told me some pretty fantastic tales, but my absolute favorite was this.
Kid: Well, do you want to know what else!?!
Me: What?
Kid: The staff made us clean all the rooms today!
Me: Well, today is Saturday and we have chores to do on Saturday.
Kid: Well, no. They made us clean everyday.
Me: You do have room chores everyday, but everyone has those chores. You have to clean your room.
Kid: Well. Every night they make us wake up at 4 in the morning and tell us to clean every room in the whole shelter, even all the offices, and they won't let us go to sleep until it's done.
Me: Really!?
Kid: Yeah. And do you want to know what else! Do you know why the paintings in the hallway are so nice and not scratched up? Because they make us repaint them every single night! That's why I have red paint all over my hands.
Me: Can I see your hands?
Kid: Well. I already washed them.
Me: Oh, I see.

While I had to talk to him about making up stories and how lying probably wasn't the best way to express the way he felt, I understand the desire to fabricate a life more interesting than reality. Sometimes, the cycle of daily living is so boring you feel like you could puke. And then you wonder, Why do I even do this, and so you simply refuse to take part in the cycle of daily living. You skip school. You don't shower. You eat weird things at weird times. You refuse to do the dishes. You spend the whole day, unbathed, eating marshmallows and watching marathon movies on Lifetime, which is, arguably even more pointless than the cycle of daily living.

We all have a current that runs through our bones and begs for adventure. Some of us make up stories about adventures, and some of us go out and have adventures. But maybe most of us need to learn how to see the adventures daily living.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sometimes we make things up because our lives are so mundane, so nothing, that anything is better!!!

but sometimes we make things up because we're dreamers.

then you're crushed for dreaming, forced back to the mundane because it's "reality"

dawn said...

before alexis went to sleep, she told me how she is going to see grandpa in heaven and they are going to go bowling with Jesus. when am i going to see the entry about my family?