Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Lessons They Learn

One of the most daunting parts of parenthood is the fact that as a parent, I am responsible for teaching Norah foundational lessons about life as a human. Her formative years will be spent with Rusty and me at her side, teaching her, guiding her, letting her make mistakes, allowing her to explore her world and always making sure she has a safe place to come back to. And even though she is only 6 weeks old, we are already in the process of teaching her things, sometimes intentionally, sometimes without even realizing it.

I'm pretty sure I have already taught her an interesting lesson: That every song in creation contains the words "blah blah" and "something".

I have partial songs running around in my head, songs that I like to sing to Norah, but because these songs are partial, I have to supplement with blahblahs and somethingsomethings. How great it will be when Norah goes to preschool and insists that the words to I'm a Little Teapot are actually "I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle here is my spout. Blah-dee-blah-dee blah-blah something blah. Tip me over and pour me out!"

3 comments:

sarahthe said...

"When I get all steamed up, hear me shout!"

Rusty said...

i think norah should know that she went forward for her first children's message during worship before she was 6 weeks old. now that i have left this comment, i guess we have a record of it...

Tricia said...

I taught my son the samy blah, blah, something, something lyrics. Finally I grew tired of using the same words in every song and I'd start hunting online for lyrics...either that or call my mom and get her to sing on the phone. It's amazing how the tunes stay in our head for eternity.