Tuesday, August 19, 2008

North and South

I know it may be hard to believe, but when I was in middle school and high school I was kind of nerdy. Nerdy, as opposed to how awesome and fabulous I am now. I was in orchestra and choir and honors classes and not very good at sports. I also went to church and was very scared of all the unchurched gangsters that wore lots of eyeliner and big earrings. But the pinnacle of my nerdiness was my participation in both Math Engineering And Science Club and Science Olympiad, both of which I was a part of from 7th to 12th grade.

Behold.


Now. Don't get me wrong, I loved MESA Club and Science Olympiad. It was great. I got to spend time with my friends and compete in competitions and flirt with the boys from Moriarty.
My friend Jenny and I always competed in Road Scholar in Science Olympiad, an event that required us to answer a series of questions using information on road maps and topographical maps and also required a good sense of direction as well as working knowledge of a compass. Jenny was always amazed that I was able to figure out which way was North. I always took pride in that ability and knew that it made my dad proud.

Today something utterly disgraceful happened to me. I took a back way home, a way I have only driven once, and I very nearly got lost. I'm almost too ashamed to even mention it...I got North and South mixed up. What should have been South was North and I went the wrong way. Me! Road Scholar champion! Went North instead of South and didn't even think twice upon viewing the sign that said 59 North.

I'm sorry Dad.
----------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow Norah and I are flying to Roswell to visit my family. I am very excited to see everyone and for everyone to see how big (and bald) Norah is. However, I am not excited about two, one hour flights and a two hour layover in Dallas. Have you met my daughter? She does not sit.

So, if you happen to be thinking of me tomorrow please pray calming and sleepy prayers. Hopefully I won't have to navigate North and South in the airport or I may end up in Montana.

5 comments:

Garrett said...

Nerd. I scoff at your distasteful adjective about all those poor souls.

Jasmine said...

LOL! I forgot that you were leaving! Oh yeah for going home... or just getting the hell out of siloam PERIOD!

We will chat when you get back. I got some great stories.

Love you much~

dawn said...

gosh, i can't believe i'm friends with such a nerd! i, along with all the cool kids, were in advanced placement environmental science (aka apes) and marching band and choir and youth group (i was the coolest of the cool kids since i was drum major and a leader in the other things too).

so if your layover in dallas happens to be after 2:00, you can call me, cause i'll be off work. well, i'm not a nerd, i should go to bed early so i can get at least 5 hours of sleep before work.

Jenny said...

hahahahaha

Remember the mysterious road scholar picture of the building top with flying monkey shadows or whatever it was that we finally decided to put? LOL

Nicole said...

Mercedes I still think you are incredibly intelligent if that helps at all.