Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Sadie's Survival Guide to Breastfeeding-Part 1

I've been breastfeeding now for almost six months.

That is nearly six months of feeding Norah roughly every three hours from 6am to 8pm and once or twice from 8pm to 6am. I really hate math, but if you would like, go right ahead and figure how many breastfeeding sessions Norah and I have been through. It would be an approximation, of course. As I said before, I really hate math, so I will approximate that Norah and I have been through A Stinking Lot of breasfeeding sessions.

Given that I have been through A Stinking Lot of breastfeeding sessions, I would like to share some of the things that have helped me survive these past six months, six months of being Norah's number 1 source of food, because honestly, in spite of all it's good, breastfeeding can be really hard.

So now that I have babbled on for way too long, I offer:

Sadie's Survival Guide to Breastfeeding-Part 1.

First, the issue of breastfeeding in public.

I know this makes some people very uncomfortable, both mothers and innocent bystanders, but I decided...the day after Norah was born that I was just not going to allow myself to be squeamish about it. Honestly, after having a room full of people witness the birth of my child (and by that I mean, see my naked from the waist down), breastfeeding was so not a big deal. I wanted to make sure I was sensitive to other people, but also wanted to make sure that I felt free to get out of the house and not have to worry about how to find a hiding place just so Norah could eat and stop screaming. So I bought myself one of these:

It's a Peanut Shell Nursing Cover (mine is in Retro Blue because that was all they had) and it has made my life much MUCH easier. I don't have to worry about a blanket slipping off my shoulder and me ending up flashing an old man in a cowboy hat. It has a wire in the neck so I can see Norah without having to move it. It's nice and light so we don't get hot, and obviously, I like that it's cute. And in a pinch it has doubled as a burp rag, which reminds me that I need to wash it. I really suggest any woman who is planning on breastfeeding to get one. It makes public feeding so much more comfortable and easy. Lately I have seen nursing covers everywhere, for a variety of prices, so they should be pretty simple for a new mama to find.


Next, the issue of bras and breastpads. People, this bra issue has been one seriously frustrating event for me. I am picky about my bras, I don't like lines or itchiness or seams or...I'm just picky. I tried several bras from Motherhood Maternity, but found their bras to be like their clothes: Cheap in every sense of the word. Those bras were awful! I have one bra from Wal-Mart and several sleep bras from Target, none of which I can find online. I also have a monster of a bra from Medela and a horrifying contraption from La Leche League.


But then. Oh then! I found this miracle of a bra, this lovely symphony of comfort and support from Bravado. I love it. It's comfy, seamless, supportive (yay!) and relatively pretty. It also has full drop cups and easy snaps.


By far my favorite disposable breastpads have been from Lansinoh, they are the least lumpy and visible under a shirt, but they are also one of the most expensive. I am currently trying some LilyPadz because they are smooth and are supposed to last for at least 2 months. I'll let you know what I think.

Norah has an obnoxious habit of getting a mouth full of milk and then dumping it down my side, so I am often sticky and have breastmilk pants. I am fully stocked with burp rags because of her penchant for puke so I always try to stick one underneath her head to catch her dribbling.

That's it for Part 1! Next I'll discuss my Boppy, my breast pump, and my wonderful precious and fabulous nipple shield. For now, happy nursing!

10 comments:

Jasmine said...

Who told you about that nipple shield? WHOEVER it was ...was MAD genius!

Also. I remember when you first had Norah. I also remember helping you nurse for the first time... which made me cry later- because I remembered that moment of frustration.
I was glad you were over being sqeemish (is that a word) because I think I pretty much just man handled your boob when giving you directions.
It was a funny/akward moment that I will never forget.

Jasmine said...

LOL! CRAZY! We need to stop this.
Maybe it is the reason you are fast becoming one of my best friends? It is your boobs that bonds us!!!

katynapkin said...

Hey! Peanut Shell is one of our clients. I am glad their stuff is selling!

I can't wait to be a mom so I can relate better to blogs like this. For now, that's all I have to offer. Nipple shield sounds painful though.

Sadie said...

Katy, where exactly do you work? Because it sounds like you have, like, everything I need for Norah!

Silvy said...

I love the entry!! James and I are expecting a baby in April, so I am obsessed with reading about pregnancy/baby experiences. I am nervous about breast feeding (I've heard it can be painful and frustrating), so I might have to try your recommended products :)

katynapkin said...

I work for a garment trim and sourcing company. I work with clothing and garment designers (lots of baby companies, too) with their labels, trim, marketing, and sometimes sourcing out manufacturers.

Where do I e-mail you? I will send you a link of some of my clients and get some discounts for you! Some of the stuff is too cute. Ive bought lots of stuff for my niece that way.

Sadie said...

Katy
My email is sadie86@gmail.com.
Thanks friend!

LaurenFaith said...

dude. you're funny. also, i've heard wonderful things about "the boppy".

i think victoria's secret should make maternity brasiers. because i refuse to wear any other brand of bra.

Sadie said...

Lauren, they do make maternity bras! But they are all a little too racy for my puritanical tastes. : )

dawn said...

thank you for sharing. i've stored your advice in my brain where i can find it 8 years from now.