Friday, December 12, 2008

Motherhood and My Steady Decline in Dignity

Last night, I decided it would be a good time to give Norah some Cheerios so she could practice feeding herself, chewing, and perfecting her pincher grasp. It's so interesting to me that so many things that adults do automatically, are milestones that babies have to practice to master. For instance, the pincher grasp, grasping things with thumb and forefinger, is not something babies are born knowing how to do.

So I poured some Cheerios into one of Norah's bowls, and sat it on the floor in front of her where she was playing with some blocks. I gave her a few from my hand first, so she would know it was something she could eat, and before long she was picking them up with her thumb and forefinger and putting them in her mouth. Of course, she got frustrated quickly and would grab handfuls of Cheerios and then drop them on the floor (another thing Norah is mastering: The art of dropping crap on the floor and then crying that it's gone). I think out of 50 Cheerios, she got maybe 3 into her mouth. But the ones that did make it from her fingers to her trap were met with cheers and clapping from Mama.

So there we were, sitting on the floor amidst some Cheerios, and since I like Cheerios I picked some up off the floor and ate them too. And it was then, when I sat on the carpet eating possibly fuzzy cereal, that I realized how utterly undignified I have become in the past 8 months.

I often wear a pair of pants one day, sleep in them that night, and then wear them again the next day. Sometimes I don't brush my teeth until noon, even if people come to my house. I am not fazed by having another person's snot on my shoulder. I have a vast and intimate knowledge with Norah's poop-in-progress faces and sounds, and when changing her diaper, I regularly check her poop to make sure everything is coming out ok. Last week I saw a chunk of cheese on Norah's cheek when I was putting her down for a nap, and I picked it off her cheek, and without thinking, I popped it in my mouth.

Yeah, that last one is pretty bad.

And I suppose I could get all worked up about these bad habits. I suppose I could make an effort to get up early every morning and brush my teeth and make my bed and...change my pants. But I really think this is just part of motherhood, and for now, I am content to sit on the floor and eat fuzzy Cheerios with my daughter, clapping and cheering as she perfects her pincher grasp.

5 comments:

Silvy said...

i love this post. i am totally the same way as you. i've worn the same outfit to work 3 times this week (and i'm not even a mother yet! :)). some women feel like it is their job to look good for their husbands or whatnot, but i think that is just so silly. yay for being yourself!

Jasmine said...

Preach it Silvy! Preach it!

My husband loves me, even when I don't brush my hair.


Sadie... the cheese thing... grossed me out. You and Garrett BOTH need to stop that!

Candice Houston said...

Ok, I can relate. I am typing this with one hand in the outfit I fell asleep in after Cheyne decided I had to try a whiskey sour. (thanks Garrett)while I desperately try to convince Arlo his pants HAVE to stay on.
Because practice makes perfect.
And leads to less nudity at church.
Love you.

Sadie said...

Jasmine, the cheese thing grossed me out too. That was the first time I had ever done that...

Silvy, I told Rusty a long time ago that I was not the kind of women who looked nice everyday, and he would just have to get over it.

And Candice, whiskey sours are sooo good.

LaurenFaith said...

*confession*


i let my dog eat off my fork.


and what's worse--- she eats off it like a person, it's kind of amazing.

...since we're sharing and all.