Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Case of the Missing H

Yesterday I received this email from a lady named Lori: (I deleted some info to protect her privacy)

Hi Sadie! Thank you so much for the compliment; You've made my day! I did have some pieces in _______ at the Visitor's Center and _______ a higher end ladies shop; however, unfortunately, I've slacked on renewing the items there because I stay home with my 3 year old daughter and just haven't had the time to make a great deal of new pieces. Give me a call if you are ever going to be in the ________or ________ area I would be more than happy to meet up with you somewhere that is convenient for you and show you what I have. Just let me know. Have a great day!

I was very confused by this email, because I did not remember corresponding with Lori, though she seemed very nice. So I responded:

Lori
I am having a serious attack of allergies today, and that may be why I am experiencing this blank mindedness...but I do not know what you are referring to. Could you help me out?Thanks
Sadie

It was a little awkward because I really was having some awful allergy/cold head fog and was genuinely afraid that I had sent her a nice email and then completely forgotten who she was. How embarrassing! But then she responded:

Sadie,
I received an Etsy convo from you yesterday regarding my jewelry; you said that you travel to Indiana often and you were curious whether I had my jewelry for sale in any shops here in the state. Sorry about your allergies; I understand completely!
Best,
Lori

Huh? Etsy? Jewelry? Indiana?! So I go into detective mode, and try to think of what to do next. I logged onto Etsy and tried to find her as a seller there, but because I did not have her username (and really had no clue what to look for) I found nothing. The thought crosses my mind that maybe someone has stolen my identity...

and is shopping for handmade jewelry with it?

That would be a very strange thing to do after going through the effort of stealing a person's identity. So then I think, "Oh lord. I know I have been under alot of stress lately, but surely I'm not forgetting whole shopping endeavors." So I check the history of my computer. Whew! No visits to Etsy the day before. I write back to Lori:

Lori
Well that concerns me because I know for sure that I was not on Etsy yesterday, and I have never been to Indiana... I'm assuming this is the email address that was attached to the message you got, could you forward it to me or something? I'm a little worried that something fishy is going on.
Thanks
Sadie

And a little later she responds:

Sadie,
Here is the convo; as i can see, I left out the h in the gmail address. There must actually be someone else named Sadie with a gmail address so close to yours... That seems like such a coincidence! Also, for both Sadie's to be familiar with Etsy; so many people have yet to hear of it... Very strange! I apologize for pestering you; thank you for being so kind. I'll go send it to the right person now... Take care of those allergies! Take care!
My apologies,
Lori

Aha! So the email address she received from this other Sadie is identical to mine, except for an "h" in the middle, which clearly could easily be missed.

So I wrote:

Lori,
Whoo! That is such a relief! I thought I was doing Etsy shopping in my sleep or something! And making up trips to Indiana. Anyway, I'm glad to get that worked out, and I hope Sadie buys some of your jewelry.
Thanks
Sadie

Case Closed.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I love your posts. I read all of them.

I, too, tossed out Baby Wise when Caleb was eight weeks old. It was the best thing for us, too. Caleb follows the same flexible routine every day, but by no means is it an exact science--he sets it and changes it. And these past few days have definitely proven that! I think what happened with us these past few days was my interjection, trying to manipulate our current routine to somehow fix our massive amount of feedings in one day, rather than reading Caleb's cues and sticking to what works best for him. It can be tough to figure out!

So, did it get better after you were so frustrated when Norah was four months? I see hope on the horizon with Caleb ... hopefully. :)

Thanks for your encouragement.

And .... this is the longest comment ever.

Katie said...

YES. I am seriously blessed to have some friends who happened to give birth within a month or two of Caleb. They keep me from feeling crazy. :)

I really love this stage with Caleb, despite the rough patches. I can't even imagine him crawling yet ... wow. They change so quickly!! I'm glad to know there's a light at the end of the tunnel. :)