Friday, February 13, 2009

Outside the Box

I am going to take a page from my sister's book and share one of my most favoritest meals. (Yeah, I just said favoritest.)

Vegetarian Tacos or Burritos Either One
(Ground beef or turkey can be added as well, to make them non-vegetarian.)

1 package Mexican or Spanish Rice
or
3(ish) cups homemade Mexican or Spanish Rice

1 can refried beans. (I like the low-fat kind.)

1 avocado

1/2 tomato

Garlic powder, salt, pepper, lemon or lime juice to taste

1 cup raw spinach

Sour cream

Salsa

Shredded cheese

Tortillas

Start with any kind of Mexican or Spanish rice that you like. I can never remember what brand I like the best, they are all pretty good. You could also make your own flavored rice, but that's too involved for me.

While the rice is cooking, make some guacamole. I have tried pre-made guacamole before, and while I am all about pre-made rice, pre-made guac is not an option for a snob like me. Besides, it is super easy to make.

For 1-2 servings mash one ripe avocado and mix with 1/2 chopped tomato. Then add garlic powder, salt, pepper, and either lemon or lime juice to taste. Some people add jalapenos too, but not me.

After making the guacamole put aside to let it all settle together.

While the guacamole is settling, heat the beans. I buy low-fat refried beans because they are just as tasty but don't have the lard. Lard freaks me out.

While the beans are heating, tear the spinach into small pieces and heat the tortillas.

Once everything is heated, layer rice, beans, guacamole, spinach, sour cream, salsa, and shredded cheese onto the tortillas. Then fold and enjoy!

These are especially delicious with margaritas (not that I would know from personal experience or anything...John Brown.)

5 comments:

Jasmine said...

I am pretty sure Wendy posted a recipe just like this on her site.
You two have similar tastes. No.... her's had pork and beans in it (giggle giggle).
She cracks me up!

Rusty said...

Pork and beans? In tacos?

Sadie said...

Oh, that was me, not Rusty.

Jasmine said...

yeah.
She said it was good... don't knock it til ya try it.



And... Isaiah LOVES the camera.
Almost as much as Norah loves crowing!

Sadie said...

And Elvis dancing.