Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Leftovers

I don't know why Norah and I seem to be a magnet for mother-baby indecencies.



When Norah was a few weeks old we went to this football scrimmage thing at the University of Arkansas. It was a big public event, with literally, thousands of people in the crowd. And Norah, being just a few weeks old, had no concept of the inconvenience of breastfeeding in that crowd. She decided she needed to eat, immediately! and I had no choice but to buck up and nurse her. In a crowd of thousands of strangers, and a few non-strangers. I was a breastfeeding novice at the time. I'm sure quite a few people got a free show.



Then, a few months later, I had to figure out how to go to the bathroom at Target with Norah in tow. I ended up walking out of the stall with my past unbuttoned and unzipped, doing that wide-legged waddle that you do when you are trying to keep your pants up.



Not long after that, we took Norah out to eat at Red Lobster. I took Norah to the bathroom to changer her diaper, and just as I got her wet diaper off and was about to put her clean diaper on, she peed. All over herself. Her entire onesie was soaked. And I am not the kind of mother that carries extra sets of clothes, though I frequently end up with three pairs of Norah's shoes in her diaper bag. So when faced with a pee soaked onesie and jeans, I did the only thing I could: I walked out of the bathroom with a nearly naked baby and pretended not to see the questioning looks as I walked by. Norah ended up eating her dinner wearing nothing but a puff-sleeved brown corduroy bomber jacket from Old Navy.


A few weeks ago I had the flying Dorito poop incident.


And yesterday we went shopping. At TJ Maxx I took Norah into the dressing room because she was getting tired of Rusty pushing her around in the cart. I tried on the first outfit, and when I looked down at Norah I realized she had something in her mouth, something that had not been there a moment before. "Norah" I said, bending down to her eye level "What is in your mouth?" She happily pulled out her treasure and handed it to me--a previously chewed piece of gum. A hardened piece of red gum that had, at one point, been in someone else's mouth, teeth marks still intact.


GAAAAHHH! First of all, ew. Second of all, I don't even want to think about what kinds of mangy bacteria may have been crawling around the previous gum owner's unwashed mouth. Third of all, PEOPLE! Why in the world would you leave your chewed up gum on the floor for babies to find and eat while their mothers are not paying attention to them. Their mothers are too busy are trying to decide whether they can get away with wearing a flowered dress that requires little bra support (to which the post-baby chest says a resounding "NO!").


Gum chewers of the world, I implore you: use the trashcan!


And now I'm thinking that maybe she got some ornery germs from the gum, because today we had our first time out session.

5 comments:

Erin said...

I have a feeling that our first time out session is just around the corner as well. How did Norah handle it? Did she "get it"? I'm terribly afraid that if I Putemery in time out, hell think it's some sort of new game and he won't grasp the situation. What did she do to get put in time out?

dawnvon said...

blech! i just threw up a little in my mouth... actually, it didn't make it all the way to my mouth, just to my throat.

Sadie said...

Haha! Sorry Dawn...

philip said...

Well Sadie I must confess I was at TJ Max on Monday morning trying on sun dresses and chewing big red gum. When I thought it would be nice to leave the gum behind for someone else to use. I am so glad to know that Norah was the one who got to use it. Actually I think that it is gross and probably would have washed her mouth afterwards. Isn't it great having kids who are able to explore?

Gia/mom Emily said...

sadie you probably never heard about the time your Aunt Beth popped a dead housefly in her mouth in front of a flabbergasted mother. not a pretty picture but she survived! c