Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Cantaloupe Liars

When I was in high school, my mom let Sara and me paint our bedrooms. We got to pick our own colors and during Spring Break we spent the entire week stripping wall paper, fixing ceilings and painting. It was incredibly hard work, harder than any of us expected because the floral wall paper that covered all the walls had spent the last decade baking in the New Mexican sun so that it was nearly impossible to remove. I think my mom still gets the twitches when she thinks about that wallpaper.

It was really very cool of my mom. I'm sure there were many other rooms she would have liked to paint and re-do, but she let us do ours instead. And Sara and I were both really excited about our rooms.

Sara picked a lavender for her walls, and a pale yellow for the trim. I picked royal blue for the walls and a bright gold for the trim. Sara's looked great with her bed spread and room decorations. Mine looked like a Kraft Macaroni and Cheese box.


So after that fiasco, you would think that I would have realized that I don't have the best eye for room color. But then, not too long ago, I picked this awesome grassy green color for my living room wall. It was a raging success in the Perkins' house. It is so fabulous, in fact, that it prompted Norah to speak her first sentence. When she woke up from her nap on the day I was painting, I brought her in to see and she said, "Mama! You are a color genius!", perfectly pronounced. ; )

I admit. After that I was a little over-confidant about my color picking skills. Me and my pompous self began eyeing the kitchen. And, at the same time, Amalah wrote about her kitchen as well. And when she mentioned a cantaloupe color I all but skipped to Lowe's, for BRILLIANT! A cantaloupe colored kitchen would be perfect! The pale orange would look great with my green wall and with my cabinets. I logged onto Valspar's website and found the perfect paint color. Cantaloupe Smile.

I have a problem with paint color names. I get distracted by them. Cantaloupe Smile sounds so perfectly orange and sunny and...cantaloupy. I mean, come on. The green in my living room is called La Fonda Plaza Green, and it turned out great, so surely a paint color named Cantaloupe Smile would be great and ORANGE. And to be honest, if they had named that paint Road Stripe Yellow, which would have been more accurate, I would have stayed away from it.

Rusty told me in the store that it was yellow. But I didn't believe him. It was called Cantaloupe Smile for pete's sake, it had to be orange! Sadly, from the first brush stroke I was unhappy. Even more sadly, I continued through two full coats, telling myself it was orange and it would grow on me and I would end up loving it. It never happened.

I woke up the next morning and walked into the kitchen and announced I hated it. I was going to re-paint the next day. So I went back to Lowe's, gave in to the experts and went with a nice blue shade that would bring out the orange color in my cabinets. Bah.

And I love it. I really do. It's so calming and mellow and not road stripey. And it's called Cincinnatian Hotel Lindner Blue. A perfectly respectable name.

4 comments:

Aidan and Zachary said...

Jake just painted our bedroom "Homestead Resort Moss"-a nice sage green. We did however avoid a very similar color at the store because it was called "Swampwater."

Sadie said...

Hahahaha!

philip said...

I like it Sadie

Erin said...

I have almost that same color around my fireplace, only mine is Valspar Russian Blue. However! I just redid my master bath, and picked one of the Cincinattan colors (one of the taupey ones) for the walls.